Thursday, May 1, 2014

Self Publishing Rip Off

As new authors many of us have no choice but to self- publish. Although I received much positive feedback from several independent publishers, I decided to have a go at it and do it myself. After all, even if you land a deal, being new and unheard of, the marketing is still left up to the author and the royalties much less. I have come to believe that self-publishing can be very rewarding, and yet if you are not careful, you will get eaten by the wolves. I decided to publish only on Amazon, (yeah I know, I hear moans from the indie faithful) so I can focus on my writing. So I have done some math. For those who constant pound the need for the ever needed Professional Edit. Create space is rather affordable. So let’s look at the math. Basic copy edit (just grammar and glaring mistakes). Book size=50,000 words. Cost $160 for first 10,000 and .016 for every word after for a total of. $800. Average first time novelist book sales= somewhere around 100 copies. My book retail cost for paperback. 10.99 My royalty. $2.48 per book. 800/2.48= 322.58 rounded to 323 copies sold to break even for paper back. Ebook retails for $2.99 and royalty is $1.87. 800/1.87=427.8 or 428 copies. See the problem? This does not count the cost of designing a cover=$399, if you need them to do your interior $149.00, write a press release=$249 and create a nice little 30 second book trailer=$1,199 (biggest of the rip offs IMHO) All of these things I did myself for free. So in my opinion unless you can throw away money, in which case you don’t need to sell books to begin with. FUCK THE RIP OFF SHIT. Yes if you plan to send your manuscript to a traditional publisher you need a professional edit, and good luck getting your unsolicited work read by someone. Fuck them. So far my book has a few mistakes in it and it is being read by a few friends. I had two issues where I used bye instead of by, one missed I in a sentence, and steak instead of stake, and probably a million comma screw ups. Fuck a comma and fuck anybody who would judge an entire work by them. I am a poor, first time writer so fuck you and your professional edit unless you are paying for it. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment